Reading For College
Literacy Skills Activity Book
The Reading for College: Literacy Skills Activity Book for College Readiness Programs (recommended grades 11-12 and college readiness programs like AP Language, AVID Elective, and the CSU Expository Reading and Writing Course--ERWC) offers a series of powerful literacy strategies and activities.
The Reading for College: Literacy Skills Activity Book for College Readiness Programs (recommended grades 11-12 and college readiness programs like AP Language, AVID Elective, and the CSU Expository Reading and Writing Course--ERWC) offers a series of powerful literacy strategies and activities that high school teachers use to:
- improve students' academic reading and writing skills;
- enhance instruction through engaging activities;
- increase students' ability to read and write strategically;
- move students to think more analytically about their reading and writing; and
- effectively implement Common Core standards for content area literacy and college and career readiness (CCRs).
This Activity Book offers strategic reading and writing experiences that guide and support students as they learn new skills and benchmarks that teachers can use to formatively assess students' growth.
When using the workbook, we recommend starting with shorter texts (no longer than five pages) or chunk lengthier texts into shorter, more manageable reading assignments. Length and sophistication of text should increase as students demonstrate proficiency in reading.
- 12 sequenced reading lessons that can be used with any non-fiction text
- Opportunities to practice rhetorical reading and writing skills that are necessary for post-secondary reading and writing tasks
- Practical approaches to attack a wide range of sophisticated, complex texts
- Engaging activities that challenge and motivate students
- A simple roadmap for effective implementation of Common Core College and Career Anchor Standards for reading, writing, and listening/speaking
How it helps
Mastery of the select literacy strategies is just one goal of the activity books. The sound instructional methods and powerful pedagogy, that are the foundation of the LiteracyTA activity books, model effective pacing and literacy instruction. The strategies and activities are carefully selected and sequenced to maximize student growth and engagement. As a result of using the activity book, students will learn how to read more critically and improve their ability to read independently.
We've mapped our literacy lessons and reading, speaking, and writing skills to state standards, Common Core, and NGSS. The standards are "the what" to teach. Our lessons are "the how" to meet the expectations defined by the standards. Click on the links below to view our quick reference table that maps standards to literacy lessons.